Cape Sea Safaris opens up their tally

The fish had lock-jaw and weren’t interested in the dead baits and thus a change of tactics was required.

The tuna have arrived and Cape Sea Safaris are on the scoreboard, the Hysucat Assassin, powered by twin Yamaha 115 motors, left the Hout Bay harbour in the darkness of the early hours of the morning and headed out towards the tuna grounds in search of these trophy fish. Assassin was the only tuna vessel to leave Hout Bay harbour, with the rest of the fleet left on their moorings, Fred skippered the boat towards the South West, with the coordinates numbers being, 35 – 38 nautical mile bank which is equivalent to 70,376 kilometres. When they arrived on the coordinates they found schools of yellowfin tuna in water with a temperature of between 18 and 19 degrees, with very little current, jumping out of the water giving the excited crew an unbelievable aerial display as the tuna broke water with a teasing display of come and catch me syndrome.

Immediately the crew went to work chumming the water with chunks of sardines trying to entice the butter balls to feed on the dead baits that were being used to catch these Cape beasts. The fish had lock-jaw and weren’t interested in the dead baits and thus a change of tactics was required. So instead of using the traditional baiting methods, Fred changed the setup to trawling where he setup the Shimano 50 Tiagras with Rapalas and it wasn’t long before they heard Shimano music as the first fish started to peel line off the reels.

It wasn’t long before they landed and gaffed two yellows, weighing 45 and 50 kilos, but after that the fish went off the bite. The fish were clearly visible in the water, but the lockjaw syndrome came back to haunt the crew as the fish were clearly not interested. Old Cape Spoons (supplied by Sportex Fishing SA) as well as Halco poppers were thrown at the fish to try and entice them to come on the bite again, but to no avail.

On the way back to port, we decided to take one last chance before calling it a day, lines-up, and it wasn’t long before one of the reels started screaming sweet Shimano music, the fight was on between man and beast, after over 20 minutes of back wrenching pain the yellowfin tuna succumbed and the fish weighing in over 70 kilo was eventually brought on board the vessel Assassin.

However there were a lot of jumping fish around but they were very scattered, the Assassin that day also managed to land 7 skipjacks on the way back, hopefully the tuna will be caught off the Canyon and nearby coordinates in weeks to come-so book your upcoming charter with Cape Sea Safaris – it’s an experience you’ll never forget.

Come on out with us on a deep sea fishing adventure, tuna season is open! 🐟🐟🐟
To book contact us on 0861266524 or click for rates and details.

Share this article

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Related Articles